People always tend to think that an exploration company can only be sold for $1 billion dollars. One day we’ll have a discovery that will be sold for $10 billion or $15 billion… or even $20 billion. These are normal numbers in tech, but in our industry, people think it’s not possible anymore.
Prior to becoming a full-time mining and commodity investor Willem worked as a photo journalist, financial journalist, TV presenter, and authored several best-selling books, including the Big Reset (which I recommend checking out).
Willem and I sat down at the Royal York during the PDAC to discuss:
- How a photo journalist becomes a mining fund manager.
- The tell-tale signs of a great discovery, and how information leaks can help honest investors.
- How the process of writing books helps Willem explore complex systems.
- Weaknesses in the world’s financial system, and what they mean for the future.
- Why China is on the verge of resuming its historical role in the world.
- Willems’ methodology for ensuring that he is an early investor in the best discoveries.
- How a hedge against real-estate prices led Willem to become interested in commodities and precious metals.
- The 4 key components of Willems’ portfolio.
- The importance of understanding the financial system before buying a mining stock.
- The exclusive event Willem runs for investors in Amsterdam each year.
Willem reached out to me to talk mining over dinner, and the conversation was so good that I knew I had to bring it to our listeners.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
PS: You can also check us out on iTunes here.